A little Valentine's Day trivia ~
- Valentine's Day is named after the Patron Saint - Saint Valentine.
- Valentine's Day is believed to have its roots in the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia.
- Shakespeare made a reference to Valentine's Day in his play 'Hamlet' (Act 4, Scene 5).
- St. Valentine's Day was declared an official holiday in 1537, by England's King Henry VIII.
- Flowers are the most popular Valentine's Day gift.
- It is believed that the 14th of February is the day when birds and fowls select their mates.
- Sweden is the only country that does not celebrate Valentine's Day.
- More than 35 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate will be sold for Valentine's day
- In the Middle Ages, men and women used to draw names from a bowl to see who their valentine would be.
- It has been estimated that as many as one billion cards are sent world-wide each year, on Valentine's Day.
- In 1866, candy manufacturer NECCO made the first " Conversation Hearts" - then called "Motto Hearts". According to NECCO, eight billion of these little candies are sold between January 1 and February 14.